A Life in Letters, F. Scott Fitzgerald w/Bruccoli (M, 20s, gazed at the cover a while before opening, jeans, blue shirt, scruff, Dupont Circle)
The Public Gardens, @Linda_E_Norton (M, 20s, smart blue suit, bright orange phone case, Jamba Juice cup, Dupont Circle)
How to Be Spotted by CoverSpy:
We occasionally have cool readers tell us they’re going to set out to be spotted by a CoverSpy Agent. If that’s you, we’ve put together some handy tips:
- The important first step: leave your home! We are not in your living room; that would be creepy. We are on planes, trains, and buses; in dog parks,bars, and of course, bookish places.
- Hold that book up proud! Just think of it as augmenting your brain exercise with a bit of arm exercise.
- If you’re reading a hardcover, keep the dust jacket on! Unless you’re reading The Circle, the jacket is much easier to ID than the case.
- Read in print. Unless you are sitting next to me reading one of the most famous scenes in British literature, I will probably be stumped by your e-reader.
- Choose books with distinctive chapter titles! Most books have a chapter 5, very few have a chapter “Thank You, Jesus.”
- If none of these appeal, find someone to read your book aloud. Or sing it to yourself! (Note: Your Metro companions may not be charmed unless you’re a small child. We take no responsibility for the glares of less whimsical passengers.)
The Hot Zone, Richard Preston (F, 20s, huge sunglasses, pink phone case, athletic gear, Dupont Circle)
The Last Taxi Ride, A.X. Ahmad (M, 40s, library copy, green sweatervest, crisp white shirt, oldish sneakers, Dupont Circle)
Instinct, @BishopJakes (F, 30s, leopard print leggings, balancing keys on book, green highlighter in hand, dog park)
The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P., @AdelleWaldman (M, 50s, sunglasses, one foot up on knee, goatee, people-watching, Dupont Circle)
You Are Not So Smart, @DavidMcRaney (F, 20s, black tights and flats, grey skirt, navy top, @ChipotleTweets bag, park at 21st and M)
1Q84, @HarukiMurakami_ (M, 20s, tall, Starbucks cup on bench next to him, enjoying fall(!) morning, Dupont Circle)
The Ask, Sam Lipstye (M, 20s, tall, black polo, backpack, Dupont South escalator, also reading while walking down escastairs to platform)
My Struggle Book 1, Karl Ove Knausgaard (M, 30s, @kramerbooks bookmark, polka dot socks, shaved head, Dupont Circle)
I Am Pilgrim, Terry Hayes (F, 40s, biting lip, sunglasses on head, curly hair, on yellow line) @booksmetro